This competition is now closed. Thanks to all those who entered it. The winners will be announced and contacted soon!
It’s competition time again here at Thoughts On Film and this time we’re giving you the chance to win Terry Gilliam’s classic 1981 time travel comedy Time Bandits which has now been restored for a new DVD and Blu-ray release.
Time Bandits is a delightfully children’s fantasy about young Kevin (Craig Warnock) who finds himself travelling through holes in the space-time continuum in the company of half a dozen of fractious dwarfs. Along the way he encounters Agamemnon (Sean Connery), Robin Hood (John Cleese), Napoleon (Ian Holm) and winds up as a passenger on the Titanic, although not necessarily in that order. But is this just random entertainment laid on for history fan Kevin’s benefit, or part of a wider struggle between the forces of good (Ralph Richardson) and evil (David Warner)?
The film is an absolute joy to watch from start to finish, showcasing Gilliam’s inimitable quirky style to great effect and the latest release, with all its special features, would be a great addition to anyone’s collection. Here are the special feature details as well as the cover artwork:
- Brand new 2k-resolution restoration of the film from the original camera negative, approved by director and co-writer Terry Gilliam
- Original uncompressed PCM Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio options
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Chasing Time Bandits: A new interview with Terry Gilliam
- Writing the Film that Dares Not Speak its Name: A new interview in which Michael Palin discusses co-writing and acting in Time Bandits
- The Effects of Time Bandits: A new interview in which Kent Houston, founder of the Peerless Camera Company, discusses Time Bandits’ optical effects
- Playing Evil: A new featurette in which actor David Warner remembers producer George Harrison and playing Evil in Time Bandits
- The Costumes of Time Bandits: A new interview with costume designer James Acheson
- The Look of Time Bandits: A new interview with production designer Milly Burns
- From Script to Screen – A new animated featurette in which Milly Burns takes us through her production notebooks, locations photographs and storyboards revealing how twentieth century Morocco was transformed into Ancient Greece
- Original Trailer
- Restoration Demonstration
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic James Oliver
Thanks to Arrow Video we have three copies of the DVD to give away. To be in with a chance of winning one of them all you have to do is comment on this post with an answer to the following: what is your favourite time travel movie and why? Winners will be chosen from our favourite comments (please give more than just a few word answers) and will be contacted by e-mail soon after the competition closes.
Now time for the the small print:
- Competition open to UK residents only
- Only one entry per person
- Entrants must be 18 or over
- Competition closes on Friday August 30th at 23:59pm GMT
Time Bandits is released on DVD, Blu-ray and limited edition steelbook in the UK on Monday August 26th.